Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shabby Chic Painting Furniture Step by Step


 I love to cruise garage sales and thrift stores for old wooden furniture to paint!
I have painted many of the wood pieces in my home a Shabby or antique white! I also use alot of Shabby Chic furniture items in my flea market booths!
I adore the Shabby Chic look.
Here is a step by step on how I transform my furniture to make it Shabfabulous!

1.Sand down any rough edges on the furniture before starting. Fix any "wobbly" legs or arms with wood glue. I like tPleo use Elmer's wood glue. Clamp and let dry.

2.Remove existing paint, if any. If the surface is already painted, remove any old or flaking paint by scraping or sanding carefully with a fine sandpaper or paint scraper. Wash the surface thoroughly to make sure that it is totally clean before applying the primer and paint layers. An old toothbrush is good to use to get in corners.

3.  Brush on a coat of primer, and allow to dry. I like to use Kilz complete primer. Wait 48 hours before applying your paint. (Sometimes I get excited and just paint the next day ). Not all pieces need primer. I generally only use primer on a piece that the has some of the old varnish left on.

4. I use regular indoor latex paint from Wal-Mart.  I like to use flat white or antique white to get that Shabby old farmhouse look.  Paint in the same direction as the grain of the wood. Use two coats and let dry.

5. Distress the item with a fine sandpaper. Sand lightly around the edges for a lightly distressed look. If you like a Shabbier look you can take a old cloth and rub a medium brown color stain around the edges and then lightly sandpaper over it. Watered down brown acrylic will also work for this look. If you get too much on the piece just sandpaper back over it and you can even dry brush a bit of paint back over the piece.
Painted goodies at my Flea Market Booth!

I adore painting old furniture!
If you have comments or questions let me know!
I will be partying with
My Romantic Home 
snd
Pink Saturday

Xo
Olivia

11 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial- You know it is funny to those of us that have painting a long time that there really are those people out there that are new to this- that don't know where to start. You are a good blogger to give them all help! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia! I've been reading your blog a little and just realized that you have MS! I am so sorry, but I am so glad that you are able to do all of the marvelous things you do! You are an inspiration to many! Prayers that you'll experience healing in ways you never thought you would! Thanks for sharing your life and talent! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Bama Girls comment Olivia.
    You are so talented,love your furniture finishes too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I paint exactly the same way you do--even the brands of paint! I am so tempted to try out real chalk paint--just so I can satisfy my curiousity. I have made my own chalk paint and like that. Thanks for sharing--makes me feel like I am doing things right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful furniture! have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful Olivia! I have to confess though, I'm soooo lazy when it comes to my furniture make-overs...I don't prime anything and I only sand a tiny bit:( I'm impatient!

    Hope you're doing well my friend, sending big hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A long time ago I couldn't stand to see furniture painted - but I let go of that some time back. I love the look and your things look great. I haven't been able to talk my husband into painting odds and ends we have here. You know, maybe I should just repaint the INSIDE of our old wardrobe that way. That might work for the two of us!

    I just read your profile - stay strong! I like that you lean on Jesus and I was thinking how much we need to do that under any circumstance. It strengthened me for a moment and then I read about the disease you live with. So many things in life we deal with, don't we? Leaning on the Lord, that's where the strength and promises are! (Amen!)

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I is amazing what one can do with thins if they have the desire and know how. You do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done in fact wonderful work by make such a great blog keep up the good work.home interior design

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have done in fact wonderful work by make such a great blog keep up the good work.home interior design

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice post.Thank for sharing such a nice informative post.I like it so much.Check Office Furniture Miami

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friend! Thank you so much for stopping by! I love to hear your thoughts! Hugs, Olivia

Search This Blog